Friday, January 15, 2010

Birth of a Dream


I fell in love with used bookstores during my college years in Lawrence, Kansas. Just as reading was an escape from the daily struggles and routines, hanging out in a local used bookstore was an escape from the pressures of college studies. For just a little bit of money, I could stock up on enough reading material to get me through those tough semesters.
During my career, I tended to get busier and busier and soon found myself purchasing most of my books online, as I could place my orders after midnight when I got off work. But still I longed for the days of browsing through the used bookstore and finding those treasures that others had parted with. And all that time I thought it would be fun to run a used bookstore of my own.
Now, after more than a year in the retail business, that dream has come true. Along with my partner, Lucy Corley, we have moved into a downtown Salina building at 113 S. Santa Fe. First, we will have the used bookstore, Chapter 2 Used Books and More, then next summer move ETC, our boutique, there in the other half of the building.
Many thanks to my friends who have provided books to begin stocking the shelves of the store. And many, many thanks to Scott and Adriana for all their hard work in scraping the tarpaper to help us unearth the beautiful ceramic tile floor below.
I’m eager to see how this fledgling business grows and contributes to the life and energy in downtown Salina. I hope to see you there soon. And if you want to part with some books, we’re taking trade and consignment right now. Hopefully in the future we will be able to pay cash for books also.

1 comment:

  1. You have done a great job with this. Lots of luck to you in the future. What kind of books are you looking for to put in the store.

    ReplyDelete